The Municipality of the District of Lunenburg is an equal opportunity employer.
Employment opportunity: Customer Service and Administrative Support
This is a 16 week TERM position.
About the role….
Working as a part of the front-line team, this position is responsible for provision of front-line customer service and reception for the municipality. In addition, this position provides some administrative support to the Finance, Planning, and Recreation Departments.
Is this you?
• Current student or recent graduate of a one- or two-year Business/ Office Administration program.
• Previous experience with front-line customer service and cash-handling is a strong asset.
• Skilled with Microsoft Office Suite
• Familiarity with accounting systems and software is an asset.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to multi-task and meet multiple deadlines.
• Attention to detail, ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a timely manner.
• Knowledge of Municipal Government services and operations is asset.
• Wages: $18.53/hr plus vacation pay
• Term (May to August, approximately 16 weeks)
• Based on 35 hours per week. Monday to Friday 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
• This position is open to COOP and work term placements.
To apply, submit a resume and cover letter in confidence to:
Ashley Chase, Human Resources Officer
Deadline to apply: April 26, 2021
Student Park Maintenance / Grounds Keeper Opportunities
Position Job Description: Student Park Maintenance / Grounds Keeper
Position Overview: Reporting to the Park Supervisor, Park Maintenance / Grounds Keeper Students are responsible for various duties relating to the operation and maintenance of all Municipal Parks, Trails and Open Spaces including the Municipal Activity Recreation Complex (M.A.R.C). and River Ridge Common.
- Assist with day-to-day operational duties in parks, trails and open spaces including, but not limited to:
- Maintaining Grounds and Beach Areas
- Mowing Grass
- Ballfield Maintenance
- Cleaning and sanitizing washrooms
- Collecting garbage
- Operate various hand tools and powered equipment
- Assist with Recreation Services Special Events
- Carry out all assigned duties in accordance with accepted safety practices on MODL
- Frequent sanitization of work area and following MODL Covid-safe working policies
- Provide Quality Customer Service
- Must be currently enrolled as a full-time Student
- Interested in Outdoor Recreation
- Valid Nova Scotia Drivers License
- Previous experience working outdoors is preferred
- Experience with equipment operation, including trucks, ride-on mowers, grass trimmers and hand tools an asset
- Good interpersonal skills with ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
- Some heavy lifting is required, i.e. benches, picnic tables
- Must be available to work weekends, evenings and holidays
- Hourly Wage: $15
How to Apply
Please note: All successful applicants must possess their own CSA Approved Safety- Boots, be able to work the duration of the season and will be assigned shifts of 35-40 hours per week.
Employment opportunity: Sustainability Planner
Sustainability Planner (Full‐time, Permanent)
About the role….
The Municipality of the District of Lunenburg is a member of the Partners for Climate Protection (PCP) program. PCP is a network of Canadian municipal governments who have committed to reducing greenhouse gases (GHG) and acting on climate change. PCP is the Canadian component of the International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives' (ICLEI) Cities for Climate Protection (CCP) network that comprises more than 600 communities worldwide making the same efforts.
This position will develop and oversee the implementation of the Municipality’s environmental sustainability program with an emphasis on the reduction of corporate and community GHG emissions. The Municipality has completed GHG emissions inventories for corporate operations and for the community. This position will help the municipality and community create emission reduction targets, create and implement action plans to achieve the reduction targets. This position will assist with the preparation of a municipal wide planning strategy to ensure the municipality’s climate adaption and mitigation goals are implemented into planning documents.
Is this you?
- Completion of a University degree or college diploma in environmental science, environmental studies, geography, urban planning, or equivalent in Nova Scotia.
- 1‐2 years directly related experience in a Sustainability or Planning field; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong knowledge and interest in the areas of GHG emissions reductions and sustainable development and a good understanding of climate change issues and sustainable development within the context of municipal government;
- Good understanding of community engagement strategies, practices and techniques;
- Excellent facilitation and presentation skills;
- Knowledge of GHG software and GHG inventories would be an asset.
Salary: 47,789 – 59,736, commensurate with qualifications.
In addition to salary, MODL offers a variety of other benefits to its employees including, but not limited to:
- Group Benefits plans
- Defined contribution pension plan
- 4‐day work‐week arrangements
To apply, submit a resume and cover letter in confidence to: Ashley Chase, Human Resources Officer
Deadline to apply: Friday April 23, 2021
Summer Employment Opportunities - Tourism
For complete job descriptions, please click on the job titles below.
Deadline to apply: Monday, April 12. 2021 at 4pm
Deadline to apply: Monday, May 3, 2021 at 4pm