Since our last Subdivision By-Law Review 18 years ago, the Municipality of the District of Lunenburg has undergone many changes. Considerable growth has occurred at the edges of the three towns the Municipality surrounds.
We are undertaking a review of the Subdivision By-Law and Infrastructure Design Standards as an opportunity to address current shortcomings and ready the Municipality for the future. We intend to develop a new By-Law that will encourage responsible development and continue to make our Municipality attractive to both residents and economic development.
The review of the Subdivision By-Law has been ongoing. Throughout the process there has been opportunities for the public to provide input. As the discussion continues there will continue to be opportunities for the public to provide input into the decision-making process.
To date the input opportunities include:
- Developers stakeholders focus group
- Two round tables events in July, 2018
- Private road residents focus group
- Two open houses
- Online and paper survey
- PAC meeting specific to the survey’s results, which included public comment received through that format.
- Fire Service providers were asked to provide input and identified issues with providing service on roads in MODL.
- Written submissions throughout process
- Five PAC meetings since a draft document was prepared (January 11, January 25, February 15, April 12, April 26, May 24)
- One-on-one feedback to Councillors and PAC members
PUBLIC HEARING NOTICE
New Municipal Planning Strategy and Subdivision By-law
PLEASE TAKE NOTICE THAT on August 28, 2018, Council gave notice of its intention to repeal both the Municipal Planning Strategy and Subdivision By-law and adopt a new proposed Municipal Planning Strategy and Subdivision By-law. The Municipal Planning Strategy are Council’s policies to guide development and the Subdivision By-law regulates the division or consolidation of land.
A PUBLIC INFORMATION SESSION will be held by staff on: Monday, September 17, 2018, starting at 7:00PM, at the Italy Cross Fire Hall (17722 HIGHWAY 103, ITALY CROSS.) The purpose of the Public Information session is to inform the public what is being proposed.
A PUBLIC HEARING on the new documents will be held by Council on: Monday, September 24, 2018, starting at 7:00PM, in Municipal Council Chambers (210 Aberdeen Road, Bridgewater.) The Public Hearing is an opportunity for the public to make formal written or oral submissions to Council regarding the proposed documents.
Sherry Conrad, Municipal Clerk
Copies of the proposed Municipal Planning Strategy and Subdivision By-law are available here.