Except for a very few exemptions, all residential, commercial, industrial, and institutional buildings that are constructed, altered, re-located or demolished in the Municipality require a municipal building permit. Conditions for approval vary considerably, and depending on the scale of the project, can be complex, and require considerable documentation. Our building inspectors can be reached at (902) 541-1325, and can provide the information you need to apply for a building permit.

A Development Permit may be required, as well, if you are living in any of the following communities where Land Use By-laws (zoning controls) apply:

  • The Village of Hebbville
  • Riverport & District
  • Osprey Village
  • Municipal Industrial Park
  • Blockhouse
  • Princes Inlet & Area
  • Oakland

If you are unsure if your area is zoned, contact the Development Officer for confirmation.

Please visit the Building Permit Application Forms page for all required documentation.