June 23, 2020 / For Immediate Release
MUNICIPALITY OF THE DISTRICT OF LUNENBURG, NOVA SCOTIA – At the June 23, 2020 Council meeting, Council passed motions to donate to the Black Lives Matter Solidarity Fund Nova Scotia, award sponsorships to three local graduation ceremonies, and grants to two comfort centres. Additionally, the Municipality awarded more than $70,000 in Annual Operating and Major Recreation Capital Grants and launched a new $150,000 Emergency Assistance Fund for Community Organizations to support organizations impacted by COVID-19 cancellations.
“The impacts of COVID-19 are being felt across every aspect of our community,” says Mayor Carolyn Bolivar-Getson. “We feel that it’s vitally important to increase our support for the community during this difficult time.”
1. Council approved a donation of $2,500 to Black Lives Matter Solidarity Fund Nova Scotia
2. Council awarded the following three sponsorship grants:
- $2,500 in support of the PVEC 2020 Graduation Ceremony hosted by the LCLC.
- $1,000 in support of the New Germany High School 2020 Graduation Ceremony hosted by the Royal Canadian Legion – New Germany Branch.
- $230 in support of the CSAP 2020 Graduation Ceremony hosted by the Best Western Plus Bridgewater.
3. Council awarded the 2020/21 Comfort Centre Generator Grant to the Martin’s River Fire Dept. in the amount of $7,000 and to the Tri-District Fire Rescue for $7,000.
4. Council awarded $70,800 in Annual Operating and Major Recreation Capital Grants.
5. Council established an Emergency Assistance Fund for Community Organizations. This funding will provide up to $2,500 in relief per organization, with a total investment of up to $150,000 by the Municipality.