Are you a resident of a private road who would like to make improvements or carry out maintenance, but want to equally share the cost with your neighbours? Would you like to avoid disputes and work together to make your road safer? Did you know that the Planning & Development Services department can help you achieve your goals?

The first step is to form an association under the Nova Scotia Societies Act with interested residents along your private road. Our Recreation department can assist you in forming an Association.

Second, submit a petition with signatures from 66.66% of the residents on your road. The number of property owners who sign should also represent 66.66% of the road itself.

Third, approve a yearly maintenance budget with your association. This could include items such as snow removal, sanding, gravel, or bush cutting. Council will then approve an annual charge for each resident to equally distribute the cost of private road maintenance. You can decide to have it distributed based on the frontage, assessment acreage, a uniform amount for each lot, or a combination of the above.

Finally, include a map of the charge area with your application.

It is important to note that your road association will be responsible to contract out any maintenance or improvement work. The Municipality's role, through the private road maintenance by-law, is to assist private road residents to achieve an understanding an equal sharing of the costs.

For more information, please contact the Planning & Development Services department at 541-1325 or visit in person at 210 Aberdeen Road, Bridgewater.

Click here for The Private Road Maintenance and Improvement By-law